Thursday, February 1, 2007

Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther

This album is okay, erring on the side of not-something-I-think-I’ll-listen-to-that-often; The Trials of Van Occupanther is the second release from the band known as Midlake. I picked up this album after hearing a track from Bamnan and Silvercork, the debut album; I don’t recall which track, I suppose it doesn’t matter much anyway. I did; however, like it enough to want to hear more. The Trials of Van Occupanther being the only album carried by my local music shop, the only music shop worthy of my business, I settled. I started the album and was (almost) taken aback by the piano. Next, I noticed the voice; stunning. This music is; however, not what I expected to hear. It is quite different from what I remember to be the Bamnan and Silvercork sound. Hearing it, I cannot help but feel a trickle of disappointment. The album is composed mostly of slow, ballad-esque tunes straight out of the seventies; piano, guitars (occasionally fuzzy), sometimes woodwinds, and oh what a crooner. In all honesty, this album does not do much for me; however, it’s not something I particularly dislike either. Maybe the piano is just too much, speeding along yet lagging behind at the same time; the music sounds a touch dated. Listen to one track and you will know if this sound is for you. Oh no, I stumbled. Was I going too fast?

how many? 5.9
Live: February 10, 2007 - The Middle East
Van Occupanther mp3

No comments: