Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Marnie Stern - In Advance of the Broken Arm

Marnie Stern, according to Stylus, is a "shredder," and aw shit I totally agree. Her new album, In Advance of the Broken Arm, was released. . . yesterday! Holy relevance, Batman! At any rate, this music is a jumbled mess; a beautifully jumbled mess. Ms. Stern cites: Deerhoof, Animal Collective, Hella, and Yoko Ono, among others, as influences; if you cannot hear at least one of these influences, then you have no indie cred whatsoever, and there is no excuse for that. I recommend a healthy dose of Beefheart, see my "review" of His Magic Band in the archives.

Also, she has a distinctive voice! Check it out. I haven't heard the entire album wholeness yet, gasp. And I therefore do not feel comfortable giving this album a number; such a precise measurement should be left for when I have heard the entire album wholeness. Why Matt, do you not just wait until you have heard the entire album wholeness? Because, my dear readers, I don't wanna. You're in luck though, because I do feel comfortable giving this album a B+.5, that's a B+ and a half, not quite A-. Of course, this rating is in no way official; it is subject to change, it is pretty accurate of my feelings. For real I say dig this stuff fast and bulbous. Out.

uh mp3 for you're listen: Put All Your Eggs in One Basket and Then Watch That Basket!!! mp3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

at first I hated this song but then i liked it.