Friday, January 19, 2007

Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton - Knives Don't Have Your Back

This is a singer/songwriter album; a girl and her piano, with occasional other instrumentation. This is Emily Haines of Metric and also indie super-group Broken Social Scene. Barring her extremely limited, self-released Cut in Half and Also Double, this is her first solo release. Yes, the lyrics are heartfelt and deeply personal. Yes, Ms. Haines is a very talented keyboardist. Yes, this is a nod to her jazz upbringing, her father, the late Paul Haines. No, I do not dig this album. All the songs sound just a little too similar, and while Haines is obviously very talented, this album simply does not grab me the way I feel an album should. Which, in a way, surprises me, because I almost feel like I should enjoy it; it’s not bad, and I do like singer/songwriter albums, I do like keyboards, I enjoy solo female musicians. I, personally, just feel like Chan Marshall pulls off a similar style with much more allure.

Grade: B-
Doctor Blind mp3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mostly waving is the only song i find worth listening to. other than that the cd is par, at best. and the lyrics, trite.

"bros before hoes..." that song pisses me off every time.

isn't it odd how many female band leaders are breaking away with solo debuts. emily haines, feist, amy millan, jenny lewis... they're all better with their bands (though feist's cd is awesome)

keithyardley said...

Well I actually agree with you here. Mrs. Haines is one of my favorite artists but this album is indeed repetitive, though I think she's very talented. She should go back to Metric. I only really listen to Doctor Blind anymore.